Monday, January 19, 2009

For Those Horses with Allergies

As a prior allergy infested horse owner, let me let you in on a couple of tid bits:

1. Hives. If this happens, Cortizone 10 is awesome stuff and Walmart makes the same crap for $10 cheaper. Second of all, try different fly spray and laundry detergent.

Laundry detergents I have had issues with:

-ALL
-Tide

Laundry detergents that work fine:

-Purex (cheap!!)
-Horse blanket cleaner (available at your local tack store - not cheap)
-Arm & Hammer

I don't use conventional fly sprays. I have never had a horse NOT break out into hives because of them. That, and I just don't fine them to work.

Home made fly spray (my mom's recipe)

-1 Part Skin So Soft
-1 Part Citronella
-1 Part Apple Cider Vinegar
-1 Part Water

Smells like crap, but keeps the flys off.

No comments:

Post a Comment